Sunday, February 5, 2012

Bringing Home Baby

This day last week, Stutz and I arrived at the hospital at around noon, after experiencing contractions for the previous 9 hours at home. I was excited and nervous, but mostly glad that we were finally going to have Jonah soon - I even thought that Sunday would be his birthday. Little did I know that a full day would pass before he would arrive, making the total time of having contractions 34 hours. But he was finally here!

Looking back I realize how much has changed completely in only 7 days. I went from being absolutely against epidurals to not only having one, but deciding that they are one of the most wonderful inventions in medicine. I went from being pregnant to being a mother. I experienced my first taste of dealing with my baby's pain from needle pricks and surgeon's cuts and the helpless feeling that came with it. I've smiled, laughed, and cried and been more tired than I've ever thought possible. And I've also lost 18 pounds, which sounds very impressive if you forget that 8 of those were Jonah and the rest was probably water.

I never knew that I could love someone so much from the first moment I held him. That sense of recognition was huge. I recognized his movements, his hand positions, and even parts of his face were familiar. Now that he is 6 days old, we've gotten into a nice routine that includes lots of feedings during the day and long hours of sleep at night. Even though my entire life has changed, I know without a doubt that I don't want to go back.








No comments:

Post a Comment